Thursday, August 8, 2013

Awesome Blueberry and Banana Pancakes

I love waking up to a great morning.  Sun is streaming though the window after a nice nights rest.  There's nothing better to start your day on the right foot than a great breakfast.






I made this recipe this morning and huge plus-my kiddos liked it.  Not that their super picky eaters, but they can be a tough crowd when it comes to new recipes.  They'll either eat it up or I get "don't like it" and they toss it all over the floor.  Like I said...tough crowd.

But not only is this recipe kid friendly-it's healthy and super yummy.  I like to make what we will eat and save the rest in the fridge to make another day. (Not sure exactly what the keep time on it is, but use it within a week and you should be good.)  You could even get more adventurous and slip in some flax or chia seed to give you an extra boost for the day.


(Click for printer friendly recipe)

Ingredients
  • 1 cup *oat flour 
  • 1 cup white whole-wheat flour (or 1/4 cup whole wheat flour and 3/4 cup regular flour)
  • 2 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 2 eggs, slightly beaten
  • 1/4 cup coconut oil
  • 1 banana, mashed
  • 2 tablespoons honey
  • 1 cup buttermilk (or eyeball some lemon juice and milk to make one cup-let sit five minutes)
  • 1/2 cup low-fat milk
  • 1/2 cup fresh blueberries

Directions

* To make oat flour, add one cup oats to blender until flour-like consistency is acheived. One cup oats makes one cup flour.
In a large mixing bowl, whisk dry ingredients together. in another mixing bowl, combine remaining
ingredients, except blueberries. Pour wet mixture into dry, and stir until combined and most lumps
disappear; fold in blueberries.

Heat griddle to 350°, or until a drop of water sizzles when dropped on griddle. Spray griddle with
nonstick cooking spray, and pour on 1/4 cup pancake mix. Turn pancakes over when they begin to
dry around the edges and are golden on the bottom.

Tips:  Instead of getting out more bowls to clean up later I mix everything in my blender.  I made my oat flour first then pulsed in the rest of the ingredients.  I used frozen blueberries and a frozen banana; I put both in a microwave safe bowl and nuked them until soft then mashed together. Once my pancake batter was mixed well I added the banana and blueberry mixture and folded them in with a spoon.  

For fun:  I eat my pancakes with greek yogurt instead of syrup.  I've got nothing against the yummy sticky stuff, but I like yogurt on my pancakes since I don't like to eat yogurt plain.  Then I like to top my pancakes with more fruit, nuts, or coconut flakes.  It makes for a yummy and healthy breakfast without tasting like cardboard--bonus!!

adapeted from: Skinny ms.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Show some comment love!