Friday, July 19, 2019

the one where I don't resolute to do anything, but start something...

Jan, 2014
(I had some drafts that were never posted and I think it a waste not to publish.)

I noticed the problem when all my daughter wanted to eat was cereal.  For breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks...whenever.

I finally just started saying no.  And that wasn't working.  Trying to reason with a three year old that her nutrition can't revolve around Marshmello Mateys and Life is pretty much a lost cause.  So what does one do???!  Pulling out hair maybe an option, but thought that might leave me bald in a short amount of time.

For the last, oh... maybe 8 months we've implemented more "real" foods into our diet and less processed crap-because that's exactly what it is--crap.  Tasty and is extremely convenient, but utter crap, um crud.  The more research that I've done, not to mention taking a nutrition course last semester, I am absolutely appalled at what passes for "food" in our country.  It's no wonder that a majority of Americans are overweight and have heart disease and diabetes.  And lets face it, diets DO NOT WORK.  None of them.  All those diet books are, again-crap.  Good nutrition and regular exercise will work every time.

Harsh huh.

Not looking to hurt feelers here, but in reality I see peoples' quality of life is going down the toilet and it genuinely makes me sad.  I am SO not saying I never ever give my kids boxed mac and cheese and I hate Cheetos....because I could and would eat a whole bag of Cheetos if it was socially acceptable, (which it borderline is :/ ) but what I'm saying, is for 2014, I'm making a change in my family.  How we eat, where, when--it's getting a makeover.  We're not talking a drastic makeover that will happen in the time it takes to watch a reality tv show.  I'm in it for the long haul we're taking it slow and steady; implementing new strategies and using different ways to do things.

The book that got me started...well I should back up...  I got the idea of reading this book was from a site I picked up from Facebook, somehow:  100 Days of Real Food.  Great website, great resources of knowledge and I really appreciate the founder, Lisa, of how much effort and research she's put in to working with her family to make the change.  I'm delighted by the posts that she has and I will admit, some of the recipes I saw before this book, I thought- how and WHY would anyone eat that...ew.  But weirdly enough, this book has changed even my perspective and I look back on the same dishes and now think, huh, that looks delish..  Intrigued?



The book I've started is called:


What got me was the title.  French Kids Eat Everything.  Seriously, everything??  I've never been to France, but if Karen Le Billon is so bold to make that her title, it's gotta be true.  Right?  I'm mean, at this point just to get my kids to eat something green beyond broccoli would put me over the moon!  Not to mention I won't even eat everything. I'm hoping it can change my thoughts on a few foods. ( I am curious about trying eggplant and have been for years. ) Why not right?

I was instantly hooked on her 10 rules, or rather non rules.  I like to think of them rather as guidelines.  I've been using a few of them only a short time in my home and I have already seen an immediate result from my kids.  It's so astounding to me that I'm writing a huge post on it.  Needless to say, no more cereal for snack, lunch, and dinner...for Evs.. and so far she hasn't minded.  At all.

As you can see, this is something that I've become easily passionate about and would love to share my story along the way to see how many positive influences we can create to make this year a great one.  And that's what January is about, a new start.  I'm not doing any resolutions, because for me they don't work.  I just want to start.  To go.  Dive in and MAKE this a great year.  Because a great year just doesn't happen.  It doesn't arrive on your front porch in a beautiful package.  You have got to make it that way.  And what better way than to commit to start from the inside out.  

Put good in and get good out.  In order to compound goodness you have to start with goodness.  And with me, that starts with what I'm putting in me and my family.  And I'm going to end there before those saying find themselves on an inspiration calendar.

I wish you and yours a FANTASTIC new year and hope your resolutions see you with momentous motivation to be a better you.  What are your (non) resolutions for 2014?


much love,
-a


No comments:

Post a Comment

Show some comment love!